Friday, July 13, 2007

FKC Day 3

So day three of FKC (aka VBS)came in like a lion and went out like a lamb. All day I kept pumping up FKC and trying to get Andrew excited about what was to come. All day he would tell me he wasn't too excited about it in his 3 year old way. So finally, as we head out the door for the dinner beforehand, we had this conversation:
Me: Andrew, aren't you so excited about FKC tonight? You are going to have so much fun.
Andrew: Are you going to be my nother teacher(not at typo but that is what he called the other teacher)?
Me: No, big Austin is going to be your nother teacher. But I'll be there.
Andrew: CCCCCCCRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY But --sniffle-- I --sniffle-- want --sniffle-- you and Daddy and Jonathan to stay at home and --sniffle--play with me. CCCCCRRRRYYYY
Me: Let's go before we are too late and miss all the good desserts. (my attempt to redirect behavior and I've learned including desserts in that redirection always helps)
So later when I drop him off at registration he has another meltdown and never recovers from it. I ended up switching to his group and we both had a great time. He impressed me so much. I learned that he just wants my presence. He didn't cling to me (although another girl did) and he did things all by himself. I didn't even need to encourage him to go and play with friends, he just did it. It was the first night he stayed the whole night with his class and he did super. My only regret was not joining his class in the beginning and letting him enjoy the whole thing. I've learned my lesson.

No comments: